I’d like to share one of my little secrets for warding off mid-day hunger pangs.
It’s coconut oil.
A lot of people are resistant to adding something so high in fat to their diet, thinking that it will make them gain a ton of weight. I’ll admit—I was hesitant at first. But the thing is I just replaced my regular cooking oil (olive oil) with it so I don’t actually take in any extra calories per day. Coconut oil is healthy in so many ways! I find that two tablespoons per day (which is about 200 calories) WILL make you lose weight by making you feel full.
To fit it into my current wheat-free diet, I changed up my breakfast plans a bit. Protein is absolutely essential to making me feel full and stopping me from gorging on carbs throughout the day. Seriously, if I haven’t had protein in the morning I will just wander aimlessly around the kitchen for an hour until I cave and eat bread. Previously, I have had two eggs and a rice cake with peanut butter for breakfast (with coffee, of course).
Now I start my day with the following:
- a bowl of oatmeal (make sure the bag says gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts (nutty and delicious and keep you, erm, “regular”)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- a splash of milk if it is too thick
- 1/2 of a small banana diced (I highly recommend adding this because it makes it taste one zillion times better. One zillion.)
So just make your oatmeal and put all this healthy crap in it and voila! Honestly, it keeps me full beyond lunch a lot of the time. PLUS coconut oil has all these great qualities:
- aids in digestion
- makes your hair all shiny and stuff
- prevents premature skin aging (also, reduced my red marks from acne SIGNIFICANTLY)
- promotes immune system health
- reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s Disease (never hurts to start early!)
- increases weight loss
There are a million more things that could be added to that list but those are some of the biggies. So I guess my point is that you should add coconut oil to your diet, stop using the other oils, and maybe even comment on this post about how that works for you! I love hearing back from everyone about their progress 🙂
PS: You can add a bit to your dog’s food and his coat will get shinier. Gentle Ben likes it!